ATLANTA (AP) -- Georgia labor officials say the state's unemployment rate increased to 8.3 percent in May. The Georgia Department of Labor announced the seasonally adjusted rate early Thursday, saying it was up one-tenth of a percentage point from 8.2 percent in April. State Labor Commissioner Mark Butler said the rate increased because more job seekers entered the labor force looking for ...
ATLANTA -- I know I sounded like a broken record for the past two weeks to many of you saying, "don't by sunglasses.Waita big sale is coming." If you held off, patience pays off for you in a big way today. Below you'll find the single best day of sunglasses we'll see all summer. A huge thanks to Deal Angels Julia, Rachel and Ada for weighing in on style and ...
FORSYTH, Ga. (AP) -- Authorities have identified a man who was killed in a Monroe County traffic accident as a 42-year-old Conyers man. Monroe County Sheriff's spokeswoman Allison Selman-Willis says Christopher Vesely lost control of the Lincoln Towncar he was driving on I-75 and was struck by a tractor trailer Tuesday night. Willis says Vesely's car then hit the median and was struck ...
A Butts County family is outraged by their private school's decision to prevent their daughter from playing on the school's football team, condemning the policy as backwards and discriminatory. Eleven-year-old Maddy Paige was the starting defensive end for the Strong Rock Christian School when she was in the sixth grade. Maddy says the school recently informed her parents that she ...
COLUMBUS, Ga. (AP) -- About 100 soldiers are scheduled to return to Fort Benning in Georgia after a nine-month deployment to Afghanistan. Members of the 14th Combat Support Hospital are expected to return Wednesday to the west Georgia Army base. The unit is made up of soldiers assigned at Fort Benning and medical personnel from throughout the Army. Elsie Jackson, public affairs spokeswoman at ...
There is something inherently fascinating about the risk of great folly, especially in the movie industry, where some of the greatest stories involve ego-driven filmmakers and stars throwing their livelihoods and those of their sponsoring studios into ill-fated projects that seemed destined for disa ... ...
--Elton Augustin, a former Atlanta Police Department officer, was sentenced to two years in prison today for conspiring to accept bribes and lying to FBI agents. "Police officers are sworn to uphold the law and protect the community they serve, but this defendant protected an illegal business in exchange for cash and then lied to federal investigators," said United States Attorney ...
Nearly six years after a near-fatal knife attack, Gale was sworn in again this week as an officer with the Athens-Clarke County Police Department. She was reinstated as a sergeant, the rank she held when a man stabbed her a dozen times in December 2007. Though Gale returned to the job in a civilian capacity in February 2012, Tuesday marked the day she had her eye on while on a grueling road to ...
A Fulton County, Ga. judge officially ruled that the reality television star will have to leave her current six bedroom six bathroom mansion in Fulton County, Ga after owing $848 on her $3999 per month rent. Conya Dillon, Moore's landlord who had her evicted, recently spoke about the eviction in a Radar Online report."I am making this statement as a result of the eviction order and ...
GRAYSON, Ga -- George and Kathleen Williams came home from shopping today to find out someone broke into their Grayson house. It was obvious from the moment they pulled into their driveway. There was a pickup truck sticking out of their house. "A little red pickup truck from across the street," George Williams said with a smile. "And it was driven by a two year old." The ...
ATLANTA -- She has the whole room to herself. The Girl With A Pearl Earring really is all we know about her. Despite the fictional movie, we don't know her name, why's she's dressed the way she is or what her story may be. The mystery still questions why millions pay to visit her every year and take her photo three and a half centuries later. "It's all mystery, and we ...
They said it
Our nuclear programmes are completely transparent. But we are ready to show greater transparency and make clear for the whole world that the steps of the Islamic Republic of Iran are completely within international frameworks. The sanctions are unfair, the Iranian people are suffering, and our (nuclear) activities are legal. These sanctions are illegal and only benefit Israel.
Iran's president-elect was speaking after his historic election victory.
Wyndham Miami Beach Resort
First impressions are so important for a hotel guest's stay. Ironically when one thing goes wrong early on inevitably a ...Keep reading
Have Your Say
Should tax havens be forced to lift their shroud of secrecy?
Atlanta LeaderAtlanta Leader – Local Atlanta News & Georgia Headlines
The Atlanta Leader is essentially a local Atlanta newspaper, but with a national and international perspective, designed to provide readers with a one-stop shop for Atlanta, national US, regional, and world news coverage, weather and sports information, with live updates on breaking business stories, and what's happening in the financial markets.
The biggest advantage we have is that we are an online newspaper, which means we are constantly refreshing our stories as more and more information comes to hand. Often when a story breaks the initial details are sketchy.
We and our sources around the world work hard to gather more information, verify facts, and provide a perspective of the major stories. Expert opinion often accompanies our articles to better inform readers, and provide a more complete understanding
of the news we deliver.
Financial markets and business reports are regular features as we pin down what's happening, and constantly refresh stock market indice readings, dollar currency rates, and breaking business news reports. Our world sports coverage is a priority, as is our regional news.
We like to think if you're looking for breaking news out of Atlanta, Georgia, the United States, or the world, you'll look for it first at the Atlanta Leader.
Rihanna stunned her followers on Instagram by uploading a sultry topless image of herself, while getting her hair done for the Atlanta concert.
The 25-year-old pop star, who chilled out by the pool in Miami a day before the show, could be seen wearing nothing but a pair of yellow underwear, the New York Daily News reported.
The 'Diamond' singer held up a towel that barely covered her modesty, showing off some serious tan lines.
"Show time!! DWT," she captioned the photo. (ANI)
- 2.7 mn Jeeps to be recalled by Chrysler over concerns on fuel tanks
- Microsoft offering hackers $1mln for finding bugs in Windows
- Microsoft alters key components of Xbox One sharing policies
- EPIC RANT “They Take a Press Release from the Federal Reserve and They Think It Was Written by God”
- The Winning Approach To Customer Service Is Just Common Sense
- India elect to bowl against Sri Lanka
- Dabur Nepal ICIMOD partner to promote herbal garden
- Independent Publishing Houses in Mexico Promote Democratization of Books at Annual Fair
- Sri Lankans will target Indian bowling Jayasuriya
- Ulster institutional abuse inquiry calls for victims living overseas to come forward
- US president plans talks with Russia on reducing nuclear weapons
- Afghanistan to shun US peace talks with Taliban
- Irish public support attack on U.S. president and family
- Surveillance stopped at least 50 terror attacks, says NSA director
- Miss USA 2013 contestants too skinny says ex pageant winners
- Russias VTB seeks co-investor for Tele2
- Manufacturing firms less confident about future in June - CBI
- Pratt and Whitney wins 1000 engine orders in Paris
- Lehman Europe creditors to get further $5.5 billion payout
- Ex-UBS trader Hayes appears in court on Libor fraud charges
- John Swallow and the public trust
- Letters No government trust
- My view Is learning to spell a waste of time
- Letters Low wages immigration
- Letters Children and sports
- Havent seen any UFOs says Chinese astronaut
- How molecular hydrogen is created below moons surface
- UK politician claims fathering love-child with alien mistress in UFO
- NASAs Curiosity rover captures billion-pixel image of Mars
- With Russian Help Europe Prepares to Search for Life on Mars
- Dalian Wanda Group to buy UK yacht maker and hotel property
- Lundbeck and several drug firms fined for pact to delay generic drugs
- 2.7 mn Jeeps to be recalled by Chrysler over concerns on fuel tanks
- Settlement monitor faults four largest US mortgage servicers for lapses
- Spain urged to pursue further reforms to generate growth and jobs
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Atlanta Leader headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Georgias jobless rate up slightly to 8.3 percent
- 100+ Designer sunglass deals under $40
- Man killed in interstate wreck identified
- Middle school girl barred from playing football
- 100 soldiers returning to Ga. from Afghanistan